“A beautiful secluded bay with a quaint village appeal similar to that of Cape Town’s Llandudno”
Welcome to Herold’s Bay, a charming coastal village situated 10km from George Airport, loved by families and home to the famed Oubaai Golf Estate.
Named after the first minister of the Dutch Reformed Church in George, Tobias Herold, this picturesque bay dates back centuries.
The relaxed village atmosphere combined with an attractive beach offering safe swimming makes Herold’s Bay one of South Africa’s most loved holiday destinations. It’s nestled in a rocky cove, sheltered from the south easterlies, and offers a wide stretch of beach with alluring waters.
Accommodation ranges from hospitable Guest Houses to Beachfront Self-Catering Holiday Homes. There is something for everyone!
Herold’s Bay is a quite breakaway so if you’re seeking a seaside retreat, a place at which to totally unwind, this is it!
- Tidal Pool – Safe swimming for children
- Beach – Wide stretch of beach, ideal for sun tanning or playing bat & ball
- Surfing – Very popular among locals, with a great swell and break
- Fishing – Musselcrackers, elf, kob and leervis (during their autumn and winter runs) are prolific. Favourite fishing spots include “Voëlklip”, “Skotsebank” and “Rooikransies”.
- Nature Walks – Magnificent coastal fynbos with dramatic cliffs makes for some wonderful walks and trails. Great for bird watchers, also for spotting dolphins and whales in season.
Oubaai Golf Estate – The first Ernie Els signature golf course in South Africa. An 18-hole course built around the natural landscape, between the Gwaing River Valley and Indian Ocean.
Getting There (approximate figures)
Herold’s Bay lies east of Mossel Bay, an easy 45 kilometer drive. Both George and Fancourt are 16km away.
Click here for all listed accommodation in Herold’s Bay & Oubaai.